Reading Review Part C: Research Synopsis (LIBE 477B)

To be honest, I feel like this inquiry process has been rushed.  My topic of Digital Citizenship is so large in scope and there is so much information to read that I feel like I haven’t really done the topic justice. I’ve really only scratched the surface to become a part of the conversation.   Additionally, it’s a topic that will continue to change as we progress with technology so much of my research will become outdated. Even the resources and literature that I found on the topic had contradictions!

It’s made me realize that as a teacher-librarian and someone who wants to help implement Digital Citizenship skills in my school that I will need to continually keep myself apprised of new literature and ideas relevant to this topic.  I guess that was to be expected as no one wants someone stagnant in their learning in an Education position, much like we don’t want a Doctor who stops learning after Medical School. But, my research really confirmed the fluctuating and perhaps frustrating nature of this topic.  That’s definitely take away number one.

I have enjoyed learning through the inquiry process as it’s given me a model for how to use it in the classroom.  It’s something that a colleague of mine piloted last year in his class and that I followed to see how it unfolded.   I’m quite a structured person and I definitely provide a lot of structure for my students in the classroom, so offering an inquiry project like this really goes against every bone in my body! It’s one of the reasons I always hated being a TOC in a P.E. classroom. Too much chaos for me!  But, after experiencing it first hand, I think I could use this idea and modify it a bit to meet my needs.   That’s take away number two.




Now, onto the resources and the purpose of this particular assignment; I found A LOT of articles and resources in my research. More than I have listed on my blog and more than I could possibly read in the time that I have.   I bookmarked and downloaded resources the seemed particularly interesting; but honestly, I just ran out of time and couldn’t read them all.  I’d really like to devote some more time to this topic, and think that it will likely end up as part of what I focus on in my Vision for the Future Assignments.  

But, if I were to focus on the resources I did read and review there are certainly some that I would suggest to other teachers or teacher-librarians with an interest in this topic.   And, I definitely offer the sources with the caution that this is a topic with wide spread ideas and that anyone hoping to learn a bit about Digital Citizenship really ought to invest a solid amount of time into reading the literature before trying to implement anything in the classroom. 

I think that’s probably been the failure of the past. We are so keen to get students learning about Digital Citizenship that there wasn’t any real road map planned out about how to move forward. And as a result, we are now seeing great changes and back peddling to accommodate what we now know. But, I digress; let’s focus on the resources.



                                                                         Image 3


The first resource I would send a teacher in B.C. to would be the Digital LiteracyFramework created by the Government of B.C.  It’s a comprehensive document and one that scaffolds the skills from k-12. Someone unfamiliar with Digital Citizenship could use this as a great starting point to learn about terminology and skills related to this topic.  In addition, since it’s a document created by our Provincial Government, it’s one that teachers cross-province will not doubt be familiar with.   In addition to this resource, I would recommend that any English teachers look at the new Curriculum documents for New Media 10 and New Media 11 as they contain learning outcomes related to this topic.

Secondly, I would suggest to teachers that visiting both the ISTE website and the CommonSense Media website would be a great second and third resource.  The Digital Literacy Framework actually references both of these sites are sources, so the information will be similar.  Both ISTE and Common Sense Media are leaders in technology education and continue to update their sources as we progress forward with technology. Their websites have information about Digital Citizenship, but also look beyond the scope of this topic.  The ISTE Standards for Students would be a great place for someone to start looking as it outlines the current set of skills that ISTE recommends for Digital Citizenship and other related topics.  I would also suggest that teachers visit the ISTE Blog where I found the article on how "Digital citizenship is the new citizenship". This particular article looks at the changing nature of Digital Citizenship in schools. The ISTE Blog has current conversation on related topics and keeps you informed on changes in the narrative.

Common Sense Media's Digital Citizenship pages are a great resource as well because not only do they offer standards related to Digital Citizenship, but also actual lessons which you can implement in the classroom.  You simply need to join and become a member.  There is a lot of useful information on the website and it is very easy to navigate.

Fourthly, I would suggest that if teachers really wanted to dig deeper into the topic that they start to look at more academic sources.  The article "The Critical Role of the School Librarian in Digital Citizenship Education" (The Critical Role of the School Librarian in Digital Citizenship Education: EBSCOhost) from Knowledge Quest by the Journal of the American Association of Librarians is an easy place to start.  It outlines some of the problems with the topic, such as the fact that that it is such a broad term, but also provides some suggestions on how a teacher-librarian can utilize their role to incorporate Digital Citizenship into their school.  It addresses the need to scaffold the skills amongst grades and courses and also addresses the changing nature of the topic as technology progresses.

Lastly, I would suggest that teachers look at the article "Defining and measuring youth digital citizenship" from New Media and Society (a SAGE Journal) (Defining and measuring youth digital citizenshipNew Media & Society - Lisa M Jones, Kimberly J Mitchell, 2016).  I found this academic article to be the most interesting source that I read and the one that challenged my thinking the most.  The authors challenge the conventional definition and understanding of the topic of Digital Citizenship, suggest that as it is currently viewed it is too complex and large in scope, and propose a more simplistic option.  In addition, they use data to back up their claims.  The nature of the discussion presented in this article is one that is very important for teachers to consider as we move forward with this topic. In particular, since Digital Citizenship is now listed as a learning outcome in our new curriculum.

There are more articles in the vein which I did not get the time to read fully, but which also would add to this conversation.  I hope to read more with my Vision for the Future Assignment to fully learn about the academic conversation on this topic.

                                                                             Image 4


Ultimately, I’d say that all the sources I looked at were relevant and added to my understanding of the topic.  The conversation itself is one that is diverse and contradictory. The narrative continues to change as our understanding of the impact of technology shifts and will be ever thus (I think).  I'm happy with my developing understanding of the topic at this point, but look forward to deepening my learning as we move forward. 



All images are taken from Pixabay.com and are used under the CCO Creative Commons. 


Bibliography

Digital Citizenship. (2017). Retrieved September 16, 2017,

Digital Literacy Framework. (n.d.). Retrieved September 16, 2017,


ISTE Standards for Students. (2017). Retrieved October 1, 2017, from 

Jones, L. M., & Mitchell, K..J. (2016) Defining and measuring youth digital citizenship, New
            Media and Society18(9), 2063-2079. Doi: 10.1177/1461444815577797

Kreuger, N. (2017, September 14). Digital citizenship is the new citizenship [Web log post].
            Retrieved September 24, 2017, from

New Media 10. (2016, June). Retrieved September 16, 2017,

New Media 11. (2016, June). Retrieved September 16, 2017,

Preddy, L. (2016). The Critical Role of the School Librarian in Digital Citizenship Education.
Knowledge Quest44(4), 4-5.4



Comments

  1. Well done on an honest and authentic reflection on this process, what you've learned and what you will take away from this in your march forward. A good attitude of ongoing professional development, progressive exploration that is goal-orientated and a helpful mindset to share your new learning and understanding with others. A good annotated list of final works cited and some excellent finds!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment